Homeowners in Southern California aren’t immune to pest infestations. One of the most common home-invading pests is cockroaches. Species you might encounter include American, German, and Oriental cockroaches:
- American cockroaches are the largest home-invading species. They are about 1 ½ to 2 inches long and are reddish-brown and have a yellowish figure-eight pattern behind their head.
- German cockroaches are the most common home-invading species. They are ½ to 5/8 of an inch long and are light brown to tan with two dark stripes running down their back.
- Oriental cockroaches are also known as water bugs. They are about 1 inch long and are a shiny black color.
While understanding the species is vital to successfully eliminating a cockroach infestation, no species is welcome in any home.
Where Do I Look For Cockroaches In My Southern California Home?
Some might say that one cockroach in your home isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but the truth is, they multiply quickly, so if you see one cockroach, chances are there are many more you can’t see.
Cockroaches are quick and good at hiding, which means you might not see one of these pests at all, even if they are living in your house. Because of this, you should know the signs of a cockroach infestation:
- Droppings: They look like black pepper or coffee grounds.
- Smear Marks: Will be found along walls and in areas where the pest is most active.
- Smell: A damp and unpleasant smell can accompany a cockroach infestation.
- Damage: Noticing chew marks on food packaging, furniture, books, and other materials.
- Egg Capsules: These are called ootheca and are tan, brown, or black.
- Shed Skin: You might also find shed skin and carcasses around your home
If you see any of these signs of a cockroach infestation, you should not wait to treat the problem. Cockroaches are known for their rapid reproduction, which means the longer you leave them uncontrolled, the worse the infestation will get.
How Are Cockroaches In Southern California Harmful To My Health?
It is not a question of are cockroaches dangerous, but how dangerous are they? This pest can cause the following:
- Spread of diseases like salmonellosis, cholera, E. coli, typhoid fever, dysentery, and more
- Contamination of food and surfaces
- Damage to goods and personal belongings
Some Ways To Get Rid Of Roaches Without Harm
Getting rid of a cockroach infestation is no easy task. Many people think store-bought sprays and baits are the solutions to controlling this pest, and while they might kill some of these gross critters, they will not get rid of the entire infestation.
Different cockroaches require different forms of treatment. This is why some professional pest control companies only cover certain species.
The safest way to get rid of cockroaches is with professional assistance, but you should also do the following:
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free
- Remove food debris and access to food
- Repair any water damage
Is Pest Control For Roaches Worth It In Southern California
Cockroach pest control in Southern California is 100% worth it. This is not a pest that is easy to get rid of because they are increasingly resistant to conventional pesticides. However, professionals like those at Excel Pest Management are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and methods to eliminate the different cockroaches you might experience.
Our home pest control process provides our customers with safe and effective solutions to make their home a pest-free environment. This process includes a thorough inspection, customized treatment, and bi-monthly or quarterly follow-up visits.
Don’t wait! Contact us at Excel Pest Management today for the cockroach pest control you need to keep you and your family safe.