Rats are an infestation that should be taken seriously. They can carry diseases and cause damage to your home. When you have a rat problem, you need the help of professional Southern California pest control to get rid of them fast. You also need to know how to make sure they stay gone for good.
How to Tell if It's Rats Lurking Around Your Property
Rats live in urban, suburban, and rural areas around Southern California. They leave behind signs of their presence that can help you determine if you have a rat infestation on your property.
- Droppings: The most common places for rat droppings include under sinks in the kitchen and bathroom, but they could also be in your attic or garage.
- Nests: Rats often make nests out of paper and other materials. These nests appear as shredded paper near any holes or openings that the rats have created.
- Gnaw marks on wood and other materials: Rats have a continuous need to gnaw on things in order to keep their teeth from growing too long.
The most obvious sign of a rat infestation is the presence of rats themselves. You might see rats in your yard or on the street, but more often than not, they hide in dark and secluded places. So if you spot a rat, this is a good sign that there's likely to be many more around! If you have any concerns about rats or would like some professional advice on how to get rid of different types of rats, call Excel Pest Management today.
What Diseases Do Rats Spread?
You may think that rats are just pests, but these little creatures can actually spread diseases to humans and make you sick. Some of the common illnesses rats spread include hantavirus, tularemia, murine typhus, and leptospirosis. These diseases can be serious, so it is vital for you to take care of a rat infestation right away.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Rats To Your Home
Rats are attracted to food, water, and shelter sources, so removing these items from your property is critical. Get rid of trash piles and make sure your garbage can has a tight-fitting lid. Also, avoid leaving pet food outside at night. You should also close any gaps that may allow rats to get into your home. Getting rid of rats is not easy. The professionals at Excel Pest Management are trained to identify and treat rat infestations.
Effective Tips To Prevent Rats From Returning To Your Property
Rat control techniques can be very effective in preventing rats from returning to your property.
- Keep openings sealed. Rats are small and can fit into very small spaces; therefore, it is important to seal off any holes that may lead into your home.
- Cover vents with mesh to stop them from getting in.
- Keep your home clean and tidy. Rats love areas that are cluttered with garbage or other food sources.
- Keep your house dry. Rats tend to seek water and build nests near sources of it, so take care that your house does not collect rainwater or have any leaks.
These rat prevention tips can be effective in keeping rats away from your home. If you have any questions about how to get rid of a rat infestation, our experts at Excel Pest Management are always available to help.
The longer a rat infestation goes untreated, the worse it gets—so don’t wait until after the damage has been done before calling us at Excel Pest Management.