A burst of summer rain and a sudden wind can change the Los Angeles weather in an instant. The warm, moist air that brings torrential downpours also makes mosquitoes more active. Not only do they leave itchy and annoying bites, but they can also carry dangerous diseases. If you're tired of swatting and scratching, it's time to take back your yard from mosquitoes. In this article, we'll share the top 6 ways to prevent mosquitoes in Los Angeles and help you find the best Los Angeles pest control options to reclaim your outdoor space once and for all.
What Happens When A Mosquito Bites You
When mosquitoes in Los Angeles bite you, it's not just an annoying itch. It's actually a complex process.
Mosquitoes have a long, needle-like mouthpart called a proboscis that they use to pierce your skin and then drink blood from the vessels underneath. The proboscis is actually equipped with serrated teeth that help them cut through your skin.
As the mosquito feeds, it injects saliva into your skin to prevent clotting and numb the area. Your body's immune system kicks in because it's not fond of the mosquito's saliva. It releases histamine, a chemical that causes redness, swelling, and itching around the bite. This is why you feel that intense urge to scratch, but scratching can make the bite worse and even lead to infection.
Did you know that some people are actually more attractive to mosquitoes than others? Mosquitoes are attracted to certain scents and chemicals in our bodies, so if you're particularly tasty to these pesky insects, you may find yourself with more bites than your friends.
Common Mosquito-Borne Diseases
As if itchy mosquito bites weren't bad enough, these pesky insects can also transmit some serious diseases. Here are some common mosquito-borne illnesses you should be aware of:
- West Nile virus: This virus can cause fever, headaches, and body aches. It can also lead to more serious complications.
- Dengue fever: This one is characterized by high fever and severe headaches, as well as muscle pain and rashes.
- Chikungunya: This virus includes symptoms similar to the others, like joint pain, rashes, fever, and headaches.
It's important to be aware of these viruses carried by mosquitoes so you can seek medical attention if necessary.
Six Naturally Effective Mosquito Prevention Tips
Don't let mosquitoes ruin your summer fun in LA! Here are six natural ways to keep mosquitoes at bay:
- Add plants and flowers that repel mosquitoes, like lavender and basil, to your garden.
- Use mosquito-repelling essential oils or repellent on your skin and clothing, and wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Eliminate standing water in your yard and around your property.
- Keep your lawn and landscaping well-maintained to minimize overgrown shady areas where mosquitoes are likely to rest.
- Use a fan to create a breeze in outdoor entertainment areas.
- Install screens on windows and doors.
With these prevention tips, you can repel mosquitoes from your yard and enjoy the outdoors in peace!
The Best Mosquito Control Solution For Los Angeles Properties
If you're tired of dealing with mosquitoes on your Los Angeles property, use the solution that works: Excel Pest Management! Our team of experts offers effective mosquito control solutions that are safe for your family and pets. Our treatments target different kinds of mosquitoes at all stages of their lifecycle, so you can enjoy a mosquito-free yard all year long. Don't let these pesky insects ruin your summer – let Excel Pest Management handle the job for you. Contact us today to schedule your appointment and take back your yard from mosquitoes!